* High elevation single vineyard near Sassetti Pertimali and Valdicava
* Organically farmed since originally planted in 1978
• Wine Enthusiast: 90 Scorched earth, leather and camphor aromas mingle with a whiff of resin. On the austere tightly knit palate, grainy tannins accompany sour cherry, orange zest and tobacco. This will benefit with a few more years of cellar time. Drink after 2023.
• Decanter: 93 The small Cerbaia estate boasts 4.5ha of vines on the Montosoli hill. At 400 metres, the northeast-facing site is relatively cool and breezy. As of 2014, Elena Pellagrini has joined her father Fabio, an agronomist who planted the vines here in the late 1970s. She has crafted an impressive 2015, displaying well-defined aromas of fresh red forest berries, violet and liquorice root. The palate is densely packed and tightly wound with grainy tannins but is brightened by crisp acidity and an underlying savouriness.
Drinking Window 2022 - 2032
• JamesSuckling.com: 95 An opulent Brunello, suggesting glacé cherries, strawberry ice-cream, peppermint tea and dried cloves. Full-bodied and very structured, muscling sturdy layers of tannins and rolling sheets of dark fruit into ironclad balls of flavor and texture. Long and fruit-driven on the finish. Drink from 2024.